Thursday, March 28, 2013

Gorgeous DIY French Beaded Chandelier for $20

After shopping for a vintage looking beaded French Country chandelier, and seeing the astronomical cost of these beauties, I quickly decided to make my own.

 I wanted something for outdoor entertaining, so weather tolerance would be important.

I came across a couple tutorials online for chandeliers constructed from hanging plant baskets and dollar store beads. These had the look I wanted but involved lots of wire work and seemed like they would consume more time than I was willing to invest.
 IMG_1538
I thought and thought about a simple way to go about this.
 IMG_1542
Then one day I walked into Hobby Lobby and spotted the perfect hanging basket with the most wonderful patina and it all just clicked. If I was using light weight, spray painted beads, then why couldn't I simply use a high temp hot glue gun? Certainly that would bond beads to metal and that would withstand the warmth of the sun. Hot glue would also be simple and speed the process.
Yes. It was on.
 IMG_1563
What a lovely setting to enjoy a glass of white sangria with a great friend!
 IMG_1560
From spay painting the beads to constructing the chandelier, the whole process took me 3 hours! Not bad for under $20.

Here's how it breaks down:
Hobby Lobby hanging plant basket (50% off) $9
5 packs of gold/silver beads from Dollar Tree $5
1 can Ivory matte spray paint $6
Other miscellaneous supplies (hot glue, jute twine, Ball canning jar lid) I had left over from other projects Free.
Total cost $20

Wanna know how I did it? Grin
 Metallic Party Beads
I started by separating the 5 packs of beaded necklaces (40 total), laying them all out on a big piece of cardboard in the back yard and spray painting both sides with matte ivory all weather paint. The beads will bleed a little bit and this adds to the finished vintage look.

Once dry, I cut each necklace so that it was one long strand of beads.

Next, I got my hanging plant basket and started gluing one strand of beads in each slat, placing a small amount of glue in the inside center and then a small amount on the outside rim.
 IMG_1524

I kept working my way around, allowing the extra length of beads to hang down the outside until I had glued a strand of beads in every slat.




At this stage I decided it would be easier to continue with the hanging basket actually hanging. I have a rolling wardrobe, so I used that.
 IMG_1527

I needed at top rim for my chandelier to connect my beads to. I wrapped a wide mouth Ball canning jar lid with jute twine. Then I took a wooden kabob skewer and ran it through the top chain links, trimmed it to fit under the canning lid and hot glued it in place.






Taking one stand of beads at a time, I glued them to the inside of the canning lid, trimming the extra beads off the top.
 IMG_1533

To keep the chandelier sides even and balanced, I glued one stand directly across from the other until I had worked my way around.
 IMG_1532

 IMG_1534

Since I decorate cakes (and I had extra beads), I decided to add a wedding cake looking swag detail around the middle and top, gluing each swag in place.



 IMG_1540

I ran a line of beads along the top of my canning jar rim to hide trimmed beads.


When it was finished, I sprayed the entire chandelier with an all weather matte clear coat paint to help protect it from the elements.
 IMG_1544
You could add a simple pendant light kit, found at Cost Plus or IKEA, to light this beauty up. I plan to string my trees with white twinkle lights and leave the chandelier unlit.

Sometimes I think the way the gold and silver bleed through the paint, almost make this look like a chandelier made with wooden beads. I love the look so much I'm making another one so I can hang them as a pair over my outdoor table. Whoot!

Hope you enjoyed this one!

~The Lemonista

Linked up to:
Savvy Southern Style - Wow us Wednesdays
Semi Homemade - Show & Share Wednesday
French Country Cottage - Feathered Nest Friday
My Romantic Home- Show and Tell Friday
Timewashed - Blissful Whites Wednesday

27 comments:

  1. Beautiful! I'm adding this to my DIY Pinterest board :)

    Mary Ellen
    The Working Home Keeper

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are a ROCK STAR!! I am totally going to make one of these, I pinned it too ;) - Susan

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think this is the best tutorial I have ever seen. Genius! I LOVE it. I am redoing my closet and I am sooooo copying you.....giving you full credit of course.:) Awesome!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. P.S. ~ visiting from French Country Cottage and I'm your newest follower.

      Alyssa @ The Decorating Duchess

      Delete
  4. This is beautiful, you must have the patience of s a saint. I know a garden center that sells this type of basket...just might try it. Pinning! ~di @ Musings

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a creative idea! Love this!
    I'm a new follower, Mary Alice

    ReplyDelete
  6. Looks so lovely hanging in your backyard! Great job, Erin!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Pretty clever and also quite pretty! Nicely done!
    Liz

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am absolutely blown away by your project. It looks terrific. What a way to dress up your back yard.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Erin you never cease to amaze me! Keep going with the blog...I've always enjoy it!

    ReplyDelete
  10. wow! what a fantastic idea it looks absolutely stunning its given me loads of ideas. thanks Erin

    ReplyDelete
  11. Awesome!! Great idea. Can't wait to make my own....

    ReplyDelete
  12. I,ve been trying to figure out how to do this for ages! You're brilliant! Can't wait to see your next project.

    ReplyDelete
  13. It's brilliant! Love your idea and how easy you made it look! I have one question, The top ring you used how wide is the opening? Thanks

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a standard Ball wide-mouth canning jar lid ring.

      Delete
  14. Its Beautiful!!! can I ask how many yards of beads total?

    ReplyDelete
  15. What is the brand of spray paint that you use? I can't find it anywhere .

    ReplyDelete
  16. This is awesome.! I'm going to try this.Are those beads shown only at xmas time?Ths,jane.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Thanks for this post, I really appriciate. I have read posts, all are in working condition. and I really like your writing style. Keep it up like. solar garage outdoor lights waterproof warm white led

    ReplyDelete
  18. On my list of jobs is make chandeliers, I had no Idea how to do this till today. Thank you very much I can cross something else off my list now.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Pretty good post. I just stumbled upon your blog and wanted to say that I have really enjoyed reading your blog posts. Any way I’ll be subscribing to your feed and I hope you post again soon.
    beaded chandelier

    ReplyDelete